Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Sauces

So...tonight's cooking class was about different ways to cook in oil (sauteing, stir-fry, frying, searing).  We talked about which types of oil were better for each type of cooking Really cool stuff.  In class tonight, we did something different in that in our teams we were assigned at random different dishes to be in charge of.  I got the fish and beurre blanc sauce.  We coated the catfish in a flour, salt, pepper and paprika mixture and then cooked for about 3 min per side.  Awesome!!  I was also in charge of the sauce to go with it.  I'd never heard of beurre blanc sauce that I can recall.  But I definitely want to have it again!  Our recipe included shallots, white wine, white wine vinegar, lemon juice, black peppercorns, fresh thyme, heavy cream, butter and salt.  OMG it was rich.  We poured it over the fish.  If I hadn't been at class, I might have licked the plate.  Believe me, I was close.

Our sauce was much prettier than this.  :-)
 

The other dishes we made tonight were chicken Parmesan, veal piccata and shirmp/vegetable stir fry.  We've been focusing quite a bit on the different sauces that go into each dish.  I think that's what I'm enjoying most about the classes because I've struggled with sauces.  Can't wait to try out all these dishes with you guys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment